By Paula Bernier
Americans are optimistic about the availability of good jobs in this nation. In fact, 50 percent of us believe now is a good time to find a quality position. That positive outlook this month hit the highest level it’s seen in more than 15 years, according to Gallup.
The January poll result was up 7 percent points from December, according to Gallup. The polling firm added this month’s number was up 2 percent from the previous high in January of 2007 (just before the economic crash).
Given President-elect Donald Trump takes office this week, it’s interesting that Democrats are even more optimistic about U.S. job prospects than are Republicans. Fifty-five percent of Democrats believe now is a good time to find a good job, Gallup reports. Meanwhile, it says, just 44 percent Republicans believe that’s the case.
“Once Trump takes office, Democrats may develop a more negative view of the job market while Republicans' outlook improves even more,” Gallup says. “But the unemployment rate is a powerful driver of American views on the subject, and that is unlikely to change much in the next few months.”
Here are some other key takeaways from the Gallup study:
- Sixty-two percent of those with a postgraduate education say now is a good time to find a quality job.
- Fifty-seven percent of those with an annual household income of $75,000 or more say it is a good time.
- Fifty-six percent of those who are employed say it is a good time.
- Fifty-seven percent of nonwhites say now is a good time, compared with 47 percent of whites, though nonwhites are more likely to be unemployed.
- Fifty-four percent of those younger than 35 vs. 48 percent of those aged 35 and older think it is a good time, though the younger group is more likely to be unemployed.
- Fifty-four percent of men say now is a good time to find a quality job, compared with 46 percent of women, though the unemployment rate is slightly higher for men.
TMC is working to raise awareness of job-related issues via its Tech Culture Awards program. We invite you to explore and participate in the TMC Workplace Excellence Award program including the Tech Culture Award, the Tech Diversity Award, and the Social Responsibility Award.